Wednesday, January 13, 2010

The Banks


Cincinnati, Ohio has been working on an ambitious project for its riverfront for well over a decade now. With plans first introduced in the 1990's, The Banks project is finally moving forward and could see some real progress in 2010. I have been following this project for a long time, so I thought it would be nice to share it with my readers.

The Banks is a mixed-use project that will include office space, retail, and housing, and will be located between downtown and the Ohio River with each of Cincinnati's two new stadiums on either side. Also included in the plan is a 45-acre riverfront park. The project is being funded by a combination of local, state, federal, and private funds. Personally, I believe this project will prove to be one of the best things to happen to Cincinnati in a long time. While it hasn't fared as poorly as Cleveland on the other side of the state, Cincinnati's economy has suffered as of late; a problem that is typical for the Rustbelt cities as we continue to transition away from a manufacturing based economy.

The Banks will help to revitalize downtown, while featuring some great smart growth oriented aspects like a focus on mixed-use development, mixed-income housing, greenspace, and even a streetcar line and future light rail (though the light rail is a lofty goal that may never get met). Its surprising that in today's economy this project has gotten off the ground, but I'm glad it has. Check out more details from the Cincinnati Enquirer here: http://tinyurl.com/ycr49sl and let me know what you think! Photo Source: Cincinnati Enquirer

3 comments:

  1. This project seems really interesting. I had heard a little about it but not enough to really know what was going on. I think this will be great for Cincinnati's economy and it seems as though it will bring a lot of jobs to the area, which is especially good for the city. I liked how you also put in a link to a Cincinnati Enquirer story so readers could find more information about it. Good work on this post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is really interesting to hear about urban planning because I knew nothing of it prior to reading your blog. I find it very inspirational to hear someone speak so highly of what they plan to become a part. I am really intersted in learning more about what your major entails through reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This seems like a really interesting project. I dont know very much about urban planning but after reading this I feel like I understand a little bit more. I also agree with MK about the link to Cincinnati Enquirer because that can be very helpful to people like me who dont understand alot about this kind of stuff. I'm looking foward to reading more from your blog this quarter.

    ReplyDelete